Lab 4: Unessay Project Overview

The aim for this project was essentially to dive deeper into the effects that the Trump Administration Separation Policy has on families, especially children. I had five points that I knew I wanted to address following my investigation: One, identify what the policy is and how it had affected immigrant experiences. Two, highlight the struggles immigrants face when crossing the border and facing border patrol. Three, examine the psychological effects of those affected by this policy. Four, how trauma affects the lives of children and adults alike for the entirety of their lives. Five, understand what the policy is and whether it’s possible to dismantle the effects that proceed the traumatic experience. The overall concept of this project was to bring attention to the child migration crisis at the border through exposure of information and knowledge regarding the policy and its repercussions. I had an interest into this subject for a while, although it was enhanced after I worked on the border crossings and the archaeology of suffering project with my fellow classmates. After this I decided I wasn’t done learning about it and needed to learn more. This topic remains a relevant one to this day, even more so amplified by recent days as it has been discovered that further danger is being inflicted upon the children at the border. I hope this serves as a useful source of information regarding the controversial topic. Through personal experience, I know that the more exposed we are to new knowledge and information, the better we understand. 

I learned a great deal throughout my research process, especially regarding the mental effects children and adults are likely to endure after their experience. I also discovered that the living conditions are in fact a lot more severe than presented in the media, and it’s crucial we take action sooner than later. What this project taught me, however, is that this kind of topic, so personal and vulnerable, is not an easy one to talk about. I had to generalize a lot of what I had originally discovered due to preserving the privacy of the people involved. I didn’t want to disrespect anyone I had read upon, and this made me realize that generalizing this subject would be more comprehensible to a mainstream audience. Because the project format is intended for an Instagram story, the targeted audience is the mainstream social media. And that requires a more simple and direct approach in terms of marketing and advertising, so generalizing my project would in turn have a better result. Overall, it worked out for the best- though I’m glad I was introduced to new information because my understanding of this crisis has definitely increased. I feel more motivated and confident now when speaking of this subject, 

I integrated some of the knowledge I found from my research into my unessay project by paraphrasing the new information I had found. These bullet points were summarizations of main points regarding Trump’s policy, the living environment of the detained children, and the psychological effects preceded by the policy. Given the format of my project, it was important not to stack up too much information or to bombard the canvas with a bunch of text.  This is what inspired the Instagram story format- as I had seen many useful informatics displayed on various Instagram stories in the past, ranging from a variety of topics and helpful, nonetheless.

Overall, I’m pleased with the results of my research. Even more pleased with what I learned though. Like I mentioned before I knew I wanted to continue learning about this subject, and I think it payed off. Obviously, there’s still so much I don’t know, but with what I’ve learned, I’m confident I can have a proper conversation regarding the topic without sounding like I have no idea what I’m talking about. It’s also further encouraged me to do even further research and see how I myself can get involved with the child migration crisis. It’s such a large and tragic issue that needs to be understood by the public in order to approach change. I hope my project helps someone understand the issue, even if its brief exposure.

• Stringer, Heather. “Psychologists Respond to a Mental Health Crisis at the 

Border.” apa.org. July 18, 2018. https://www.apa.org/news/apa/2018/border-family-separation.